Thursday, October 4, 2012

Airplane Essentials.

I have a love/hate relationship with flying.
I love getting to my destination far quicker than driving, and people watching (especially at JFK) is at an all time high. I will literally have my Dad drop me at the airport hours early so I can sit with my coffee and watch all the crazy people. They're probably all watching me too, but whatever. No judgement here. I also really love curling up in the window seat and watching the world pass by from 30,000 feet.

What I hate about flying is everything else. I hate being crammed into a small space with strangers (and screaming babies). I hate disrespectful people (especially when they are rude to the flight attendants). I hate making the other people in my row get up when I have to go to the bathroom. I get bored easily (aka why I try to fly JetBlue as much as possible). My eustachian tubes collapsed when I was little and my ears cannot equalize the pressure properly, so more often than not, flying is painful.

Rant over.

Because of all of these things, I tend to always pack a bag full of distractions.


The bag? The Original Tote by Lilly Pulitzer in the Chi Omega print. It has a zipper top (obviously important when shoving it under the seat in front of you), and a pocket on the inside (to conveniently stash your iPhone, headphones, and gum).

A fully charged iPhone (on airplane mode of course) stocked up with my favorite playlist, and headphones so I can jam out in my seat. Oh, and so I can make to-do lists when all the random thoughts come to me mid-flight.

My kindle (can you tell that I have ADD?) loaded with some trashy beach reads.

Remember that ear problem I have? I always keep Advil Cold & Sinus in my bag to take about an hour before my flight. It helps my ears from swelling too much so that the pressure doesn't create as much pain as usual.

Gum. You can never have too much gum on the plane.

Trashy magazines for that short period of time that you can't use your approved electronic devices.

Empty (monogrammed) Tervis Tumbler Water Bottle. Once you get through security, fill that baby up at the wate fountain and save yourself $5. Also, if you're like me, you're always looking for a water bottle to bring to the beach/pool, so why not bring it on the plane!? I sure don't want to keep rinsing out my cheap disposable one everyday!

Again, when I'm not flying JetBlue and don't get free snacks, I always keep a bag of Monster Trail Mix from Target in my bag. Something sweet & salty will always hit the spot, and save you from becoming grouchy (or stop you from spending $7 on that little bag of chips).

My MacBook Pro goes everywhere with me, and usually has a few movies or TV Shows that I haven't yet watched just in case all the other methods of entertainment I brought have failed. My current favorites that have yet to be watched? Bethenny Ever After, Beverly Hills Nannies, and The Voice.

What do you always bring on the plane?

3 comments:

  1. LOVE trashy books at the beach...there's nothing better than a romance novel! I am not a good flyer..I'd much rather drive places, but I agree that it is faster. Hope you have a safe flight and a wonderful time in FL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had issues with my ears since I was little too, so I totally get the flying thing. My bag is loaded with decongestant just to try to get them to unplug so I don't end up with an ear infection or burst ear drum. I love your other essentials too, I am leaving Tuesday for Florida and will be keeping these in mind :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post! I love getting to know you and hearing what you have to say!

 
site design by designer blogs