Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Classic Summer Staple.

The combination of chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers notoriously brings back memories of singing silly songs at camp, warm summer nights, and catching fireflies in mason jars. A few weeks ago, after being invited to a nighttime BBQ, I knew that I had to find a dessert with a twist on this classic summer treat; the S'More.

These cookie bars are quite possibly the best I've ever had. The cookie dough filled with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows are the perfect thing to plop right on top of a crispy baked graham cracker. No worrying about making sure your marshmallow is roasted perfectly here, the oven does just the trick!


Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

What you'll need;
11 TBS butter, softened. 1 cup packed brown sugar. 1/2 cup granulated sugar. 2 large eggs. 1 tsp vanilla. 1 tsp baking soda. 1/2 tsp salt. 1 tsp cinnamon. 2 1/2 cups flour. 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I found the mini worked best). 1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows. 5 Hershey's bars, broken into individual squares. 1 box graham crackers, broken in half.

How you'll make it;
In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until combined. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet one, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl periodically so that all ingredients are evenly distributed. Fold in chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
 Cover and refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line baking pan with aluminum foil (makes clean up a whole lot easier!), then line up graham cracker squares. I fit about 28 per sheet. Drop ~1 1/2 tsp dough on top of each graham cracker half. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and place a single Hershey's square on top of the cookie dough. Place back in oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are golden brown. Remove from pan quickly so that graham crackers stay crispy.

The cinnamon in the dough is something that definitely stands out and adds something extra to the cookie. I will be putting this spice into every cookie I make from now on! These are the perfect treat for any summer night!

How do you like to make your s'mores!?

2 comments:

  1. Omg, YUM! I need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum in my tum! I do love smores but I mean let's get real how often am I around a campfire... with smores materials? Uh never!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post! I love getting to know you and hearing what you have to say!

 
site design by designer blogs