Thursday, August 30, 2012

August Reads.

How is August over tomorrow?
I can't handle this.

I read a TON of pages this month -- and I think a large part of that was due to sitting on my booty for a week at the beach. Oh, and spending 20+ hours in the car.



 If you liked The Hunger Games, you NEED to read this series! Veronica Roth does a fabulous job at keeping you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. I finished the Insurgent devastated that she hasn't yet written the third installment of the series.

The synopsis from Barnes & Noble;
"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated tot he cultivation of a particular virtue -- Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is -- she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During a highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological stimulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are -- and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves.. or it might destroy her."


This sequel to The Vincent Boys was the perfect beach read. I loved the happy, cheesy, predictable plot. Loving the characters was easy, and who doesn't love happy endings?

The synopsis from Barnes & Noble;
"Getting a boy to fall head-over-heels in love with you isn't easy. Especially when he's been in love with your cousin for as long as you can remember. Lana has lived her life in her cousin's shadow. Ashton always made perfect grades, had tons of friends, and looks model-perfect. And she's always had Sawyer Vincent -- the only boy Lana's ever wanted -- wrapped around her finger. But now things are different. Lana has a chance to make Sawyer see her, and she's taking it. if only he'd get over Ashton -- because Lana is sick of second best. Sawyer's heart is broken. He's lost his best girl to his best friend. And then Lana comes to town. Ashton's cousin has always been sweet and soft-spoken, but now she's drop dead gorgeous as well. Sawyer doesn't know if Lana can heal his broken heart, but spending time with her might at least make Ashton jealous. What starts as a carefree fling becomes a lusty game of seduction. Sawyer and Lana may have different motives, but their scintillating hookups are the same kind of steamy..."


I can't even lie, this book was absolutely ridiculous. I had downloaded it to my kindle because it was the "deal of the day." After getting through about 30% of the book, I decided that I kind of hated it, but I had to find out what happened in the end (not that I couldn't predict every twist and turn in the whole book). If you are looking for a completely careless, silly book about the elite in New York City, then this is definitely for you!

A synopsis from Barnes & Noble;
"Lucy Ellis moved to the Big Apple to pursue her lifelong dream of becoming a fashion designer, but the native Midwesterner has just about had it with the city. A mousy, self-conscious girl trapped in a job at a designer sweatshop, Lucy has been mistreated, road-blocked, and otherwise insulted since her arrival. Overwhelmed by city life, Lucy is about to pack it all in and return home to Minnesota. Then she meets Wyatt. After being publicly dissed by the glamour girl he'd been dating, man-about-town (and bored Ph.D anthropologist) Wyatt Hayes wants to prove he's still at the top of his game and boasts to his best friend that he can transform any girl -- even wallflower Lucy Ellis -- into this year's "It" girl. If he can fool the upper crust of New York society into thinking an impostor like Lucy is the real thing, he can rip the chiffon veil off the whole Park Avenue social scene. Lucy's an unlikely candidate to become a red-carpet butterfly, but she considers it her last resort and jumps at the opportunity to 'become somebody' in New York. Wyatt begins to rigorously train Lucy in the style, sounds, and sensibilities of socialites born with entire sets of silver spoons in their mouths. Three months of preparation culminate in Lucky's appearance at the ultra-exclusive Fashion Forum Gala, where Lucy and Wyatt finally confront New York's aristocracy -- and their feelings for each other. Set against the glittering backdrop of contemporary Manhattan, The Overnight Socialite puts a 21st century sheen on a timeless story of transformation and unlikely love."

What am I currently reading?
Her Best Friend's Brother by T.J. Dell
It is off to a rather slow start, but I have a feeling it is going to be another "chick-lit" book at it's finest.

What did you read this summer?
Have any great recommendations!?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE a good chick lit book! Even if it's horrible half the time haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to start divergent after loving The Hunger Games - I excited :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post! I love getting to know you and hearing what you have to say!

 
site design by designer blogs