Tuesday, August 14, 2012

{Guest Post} jDl!


Hey y’all,

I’m Jessica and I write over at Preppin’ Postgrad. It is a pleasure to be writing for Ashley while she is away enjoying the beach especially since I have loved Ashley’s blog and really relate to her in her “sophomore year of life” since I am embarking on year one of life. My little blog is a space of thing I’m loving, inspiration, favorite books and the journey from the comfort of UNC to this scary world of bills, job hunts, and no more exams.
Caught reading Jane Austen over Christmas break
While Ashley is away at the beach I figured I would share some of my favorite beach reads. I have always loved to read since I was little and excited for the weekly trip to the library my Mom would make with us as well as those special days to Barnes & Noble! That love of reading never really went away and was a major part of my life in college (hello English Lit major). 

As far as beach reads go, I always steer away from anything too dense, deep or something that I know will make me emotional. So that rules out anything I read for my English Classes, most biographies and all off Jodi Picoult’s books. Now I’m not saying to whip out 50 shades of Gray on the beach but to find something light hearted, funny and a page-turner since who wants something boring while looking at the beautiful Oceanside.Here is a list of books I would toss in my bag if I was heading to the beach:
via

Some of my favorite beach authors include the likes of Beth Harbison. With books with titles like Shoe Addicts Anonymous, Thin Rich Pretty, Hope in a Jar and When in Doubt,Add Butter there is no explanation why her books are fun, light hearted and great for a day at the beach or pool. 
via

Another favorite author would be Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham whose British love stories always have me laughing half the time. I loved Can You Keep A Secret and I've Got Your Number the newest one to catch my eye 40 love seems just as great. 
via

Recently I have also discovered Jill Mansell who is similar to Sophie Kinsell but the light chick lit is great and easy to read out in the hot sun.

Now as far as hot and steamy "smut" books as my dad calls romance novels I am all for some paranormal romance. Check out Mary Janice Davidson, Lynsay Sands, Kresley Cole and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Here are three books I would grab at the store if I was heading out to the beach tomorrow:
via
I have been dying to get my hands on this book. 
SOUTHERN GIRL Minty Davenport has always dreamed of skyscrapers, yellow cabs, and a life like Eloise’s in New York City. So upon graduation from college, she bids adieu to Charleston and makes a beeline for the Big Apple. Almost instantly, she finds herself at an event being photographed for Women’s Wear Daily, and her career as a New York society “It Girl” is launched. As Minty navigates the ironclad customs of New York society, a blossoming love life, and a job working for a ruthless and powerful publicist, she finds that the rules a southern belle lives by—being nice to everyone, accentuating her femininity, and minding her manners—don’t necessarily guarantee success in Manhattan. She may indeed be accumulating new friends and opportunities along with boldfaced mentions and a very eligible bachelor boyfriend, but someone is plotting her very public downfall. When Minty gets to the top of the social ladder, she must decide if the glamorous life she thought she wanted is really everything she hoped it would be.

My friends have all recommended Mary Kay Andrews, so I am thinking about checking out this one.
via
After years of hard work, Gina Foxton, chef extraordinaire and former runner-up Miss Teen Vidalia Onion, is hosting her own show, Fresh Start, on local Georgia public television. She's also dating the producer. But when Fresh goes bad, and she catches her boyfriend in flagrante delicto with the boss's wife, Gina decides it's time to pursue bigger dreams. Namely, a gig on national television.
Gina knows she's destined to be the Cooking Channel's next superstar. But the execs also have their eyes on Tate Moody, Mr. "Kill It and Grill It" himself, host of the hunting-and-fishing cooking show Vittles. The ultimate man's man, Tate's a tasty side of beef with a large, swooning female fan base. Gina's loyal devotees consist of her free-spirit college dropout sister and her mother—who calls every single day.
But when the smoke clears there can only be one TV chef standing as Gina and Tate get ready for the cook-off of their lives.

via
Charlize "Charlie" Edwards certainly knows, in theory, what it takes to lead a successful and happy life. She owns a nice house in Silverlake, LA's trendiest neighborhood. She has glamorous and loyal friends who accompany her to the hottest clubs in town. And she works as the personal assistant to Drew Stanton, Hollywood's sexiest movie star. But she's also turning 30, chronically single, and faced with serving as maid of honor at her younger sister's wedding. Charlie finds herself struggling to juggle the chaos of wedding planning (while wondering if she'll ever wear the white dress herself), her all-consuming job for lunatic boss Stanton, and a serious crush on Jordan, a photographer on the set of Drew's latest feature—a man who might actually return her feelings.

Now you know three books on my to-read list what is on your beach/vacation to read list?

If you want some suggestions for beach reads from others here are a few resources:

Thank you again, Ashley!

Peace and Blessings,
Jessica


3 comments:

  1. Great picks! I love Sophie Kinsella books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this guest post! Have a happy Tuesday and be sure to check out my giveaway ending very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie Kinsella & Beth Harbison are two of my all time favorite authors! Thanks for the other reading suggestions :):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post! I love getting to know you and hearing what you have to say!

 
site design by designer blogs