Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Weekend Snopacolypse

First off, Happy Halloween to all of my fabulous bloggies!
This is my least favorite holiday of all, so there will be no wonderful post of cute halloween costumes, and candy. Although, I did make a really cute decoupage pumpkin with Lilly wrapping paper to bring to the store..

I promise it was cuter when it was all done.
I forgot to take a picture of it before I went to work.
All of our customers loved it, and it was something different than just carving out some logo.

Secondly, did any of you get snowed in this weekend? Here in New York, we had the snopacolypse of 2011. Not joking. Power has JUST been restored (thank goodness for underarmor suits and down comforters) but there is still a ton of damage that was done. The storm hit on Saturday night, so inconveniently while I was house sitting for a family friend. Power was lost around 4pm, so by the time I left work to venture home, the roads were covered in 5+ inches of snow/ice/sleet/mess and trees were down all over the place. It normally takes me about 25 minutes to get to/from work, and it took me over 2 hours! Definitely the most terrifying experience to be on the roads during those conditions.

I quickly stopped by my house to grab my mom (you couldn't pay me enough to sit in a house with no power, and 3 dogs for a night) and we headed over to the house. My little baby car got stuck getting into the neighborhood, but luckily, 2 men dressed in skimpy pirate costumes were pulling in right behind us and could help push the car out (God, I wish I had taken a picture of the sight...). Another hour later (by now it was 10pm) we made it to their house only to realize that 5 trees had fallen on their driveway and we would not be able to get by. Thanks, storm. I had to dig a little space on their front yard to park my car off the street, and walk through their front yard (now covered by close to a foot of snow) to get to their house. I was cold, wet, hungry, and grumpy by the time we finally got in. Not quite my great idea of a Saturday night.

The driveway is slightly to the left of my car...
Sunday morning. Can you say "hot mess?"
I worked all day Sunday, then came home to still no electricity at my own house. All I wanted was a shower, but obviously that was not an option. Mom and Dad had their priorities in line while preparing for another night in the cold.


We drank, ate cheese and crackers, and sat by the fire playing Scattergories for hours!


By 4 this morning, the power had come back on, and I could start peeling the layers of my under armor suit off (and kick off a few of the 9 blankets that I slept with last night). This morning Mom and I had to run some errands, and realized that the damage is way worse than from Hurricane Irene. Trees are down everywhere, schools are cancelled, and it is bone-chilling cold. Not a great combo.

How was your weekend?
Did any of you get snowed in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post! I love getting to know you and hearing what you have to say!

 
site design by designer blogs